cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] Nation of Copiers, or, what to name the license?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:18:15 -0700

At 12:06 PM -0800 9/15/03, Glenn Otis Brown wrote:
for what it's worth.

my current favorites:

sampling license,
re-create license

Oh dear......I've no idea how this will get decided, but for now I am dropping out of making any more comments to this list about the name...my previous e-mails about the name choices , and my various concerns, all still stand.

Mark

and

transform / transformation license (which someone at work came up with
today).

i think that "derivative license" is out, for the reasons cory and lisa
have listed.

i agree with sarah on the many connotations "cut and paste."

glenn

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:48:36 -0400, "Sarah Brown"
<sbrown AT old.law.columbia.edu> said:
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:51:53AM -0700, Cory Doctorow wrote:
> cut-and-paste license works for me, too

It's short-and-sweet but I fear it has slight negative connotations.

It's quite possible I'm entirely warped from immersion in the culture
of Washington DC. I imagine the demographics of a free association
word game breaking down something like this:

California
New York
Massachusetts
Illinois
Olympia, Washington ->

"cut and paste"

"legitimate artmaking"

Washington DC ->

"cut and paste"

"dirty free-loading copying pirates without a creative bone in their bodies"

Cyberspace ->

"cut and paste"

"ctrl-x, ctrl-v"

The Rest of America ->