cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <ok AT theendput.com>
  • To: peter.brink AT brinkdata.se, Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:18:06 -0400

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se> wrote:
The following text may shed some light on this:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/109?quicktabs_8=2#quicktabs-8

The plain text of the statute seems clear enough to me.

Note that adaptation is *not* a copy it's an adaptation (or derivative
work). I would not hold that 17 USC 109 applies to this situation.

If a derivative work is not also a copy, then 17 USC 106(3) wouldn't apply either.

But hey, whatever, if CC wants CC licenses to give up the right to sue for a violation of 106(2), that's fine with me.