cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:24:06 -0700

Anthony's email on this thread responded to this question already, but just to reiterate what he said -- the non-ND licenses (BY, BY-SA, BY-NC, BY-NC-SA) all already expressly permit the creation of adaptations.

Sarah

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM, maiki <maiki AT interi.org> wrote:
On 10/18/2013 01:38 PM, Sarah Pearson wrote:

> Before we lock the legal code and publish the license suite, we have one
> final change to propose for the two ND licenses only.
>
> /We propose changing the ND licenses to make it clear that licensees may
> create adaptations so long as those adaptations are not shared publicly./
>
> This change would make it unambiguous that adapting licensed works for
> personal or private use is permitted under any of the 6 licenses in the
> CC suite.

Do the other licenses have those clauses in the legal code? Does calling
it out in the ND licenses make it ambiguous for the non-ND licenses?

I don't think it is a bad idea, but if I were comparing licenses, and
the most restrictive license gave explicit permission, then I would
question how the other licenses apply; perhaps I would read the SA
license as requiring that I make the data mining output publicly
available under the same license.

maiki