cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:58:59 +0200

Anthony skrev 2013-10-22 04:25:

[snip]

So if an adaptation you made ever gets shared publicly, your creation of
it is retroactively made illegal?

I'm not sure you can do that.

No, the creation of the adaptation will never be made illegal. It is the
sharing (as defined in the licenses) that will be.

So if the person who shares the adaptation is different from the person who
prepared the adaptation, the person who prepared the adaptation is fine?

If I make 50,000 adaptations and my daughter inherits them and sells them,
relying on 17 USC 109, no problem?

The following text may shed some light on this: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/109?quicktabs_8=2#quicktabs-8

Note that adaptation is *not* a copy it's an adaptation (or derivative work). I would not hold that 17 USC 109 applies to this situation.

/Peter