cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <ok AT theendput.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, maiki AT interi.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:23:58 -0400

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM, maiki <maiki AT interi.org> wrote:
Do the other licenses have those clauses in the legal code? Does calling
it out in the ND licenses make it ambiguous for the non-ND licenses?

I don't think it is a bad idea, but if I were comparing licenses, and
the most restrictive license gave explicit permission, then I would
question how the other licenses apply; perhaps I would read the SA
license as requiring that I make the data mining output publicly
available under the same license.

SA says in Section 2(a)(1)(B) that, subject to the terms of the license, you can "produce, reproduce, and Share Adapted Material, including for commercial purposes". So SA already gives explicit permission to produce Adapted Material. 2(a)(1)(B) is not present in the ND licenses.

In Section 3(b), SA says "In addition to the conditions in Section 3(a) above, if You produce and Share Adapted Material, the following conditions also apply." So 3(b) clearly doesn't apply to data mining output which you don't share. 3(b) is not present in the ND licenses.

Whether or not 3(b) applies to data mining output which you *do* share is that part which defining "has proven to be especially difficult since the type of activity is wide-ranging and the field is continually changing".