cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:44:55 -0500 (EST)

> We'd like to be able to extend the
> creative commons-attribution-sharealike-noncommercial license to cover
> noncommercial organizations that have a turnover above a certain
> amount.
>
> This /seems/ to be a trivial extension to the license, but would be
> extremely useful for our organization (an NGO)
>
> How does one go about extending the license? Is it even possible? And
> are there any (legal) risks associated with doing this?

There is some confusion as to what the NonCommercial license will allow as
it is, let alone adding an alternative such as you suggest. Not that
there's anything wrong with your suggestion, it's just that some of us
have been waiting for clarification as to what the CC-NonCommercial does
and does not allow for some time now.

The general counsel for CC posted a message a while ago about
NonCommercial, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have a link?

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/