cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility workshop : FAL, CC by-sa

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje AT addcom.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility workshop : FAL, CC by-sa
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:56:45 +0100

Just some thoughts from a creator who wants to use cc or FAL:

If I am the original creator, I could now easily just give the users of my work the choice to use either of the two licenses, just take what fits better. A contributor could then distribute two identical versions which only differ in the license. So there is no need to make them compatible, they are already, if the copyright owner wants that. If the copyright owner doesn't, the difference between the two has to be kept!

On the other hand the two licenses are close enough to just be accepted as they are, for derivative works. If I would want to modify a FAL licensed work, it would not be a problem for me to just use that license again, it would not prevent me from creating a derivative work.

Another story is the usage within for example the Wikipedia. If they require a work to be cc, then its more appropriate to make them change their policy to accept FAL works as well.
The FSF is using that method succesfully, by defining and proofing a license to be free software or not.

Isabelle Vodjdani wrote:
- The FAL recognises a distinction between the original and the copy. With respect to the moral right, and the requirement for the availability of the original work (source) for other uses, only the copies of a work are allowed to be modified.

I think this distinction between original and copy is not that important, as the original usually is well protected by national laws. If you go to an exhibition, its obvious that you are not alowed to paint over a picture and modify an original. The license we talk about do not cover that aspect at all, we only need them for distribution of copies. Any original will usually stay with the creator or will be subject to individual contracts. No need to cover any aspects of originals.
I think the distinction of the FAL is kind of obsolete, as originals are covered elsewise anyway.

Another question I have regarding France: Is the FAL compatible with a membership with SACEM? As cc licenses are not compatible with membership of the Gema, I'd like to know about the situation in France.

Stefan

--

[][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~\
\\\ /|() ()|\
\___/ ///

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-49 77 51 72