cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:00:49 +0100

Hi Charlie et al,

I don't have an answer, but I find your question very interesting. I have had the feeling the definition 'commercial' is just too hard to define. Is somebody using Google Ads being commerical? Is a not-for-profit per se non-commerical? Is Greenpeace not commercial? I think a good definition of commercial is lacking. Until this question. Is this idea about the amount of profit a better way of defining commercial?

grtz,
BjornW

spamm thiss wrote:
Hi everyone,

We'd like to be able to extend the creative commons-attribution-sharealike-noncommercial license to cover noncommercial organizations that have a turnover above a certain amount.

This /seems/ to be a trivial extension to the license, but would be extremely useful for our organization (an NGO)

How does one go about extending the license? Is it even possible? And are there any (legal) risks associated with doing this?

Cheers for any thoughts you can offer

Charlie