cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje AT addcom.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:17:10 +0100

Sorry for coming back late to the thread...

drew Roberts wrote:
The problem I see with ideas like this is that they will "gum up the works" and that will not necessarily be a good thing. Ted Nelson was looking to solve this payment problem years ago with project Xanadu.

I am a composer of music. For me the cc licenses cover an area where the drivative works do not necessarily have hundreds of contributors, they usually would have a maximum of two!!! (One original creator f.e. Bach, and one arranger).

I think we solve it by ignroing it. (For now, I do have one idea that I am working on, actually, the work is all but stopped now, that may help, but it remains to be seen.)

The nc clause opens the cc licenses for a bigger audience of creators, which would elsewise completely only covered by way to restrictive authors rights associations.

What I don't want, is something which would require an accountant and a lawyer to work on a project.

Thats why I wanted to simplify it with a common definition of "fair compensation" and two ways to ask for it either "required" or only "encouraged".

Imagine Fair Compensation trouble if you were doing something like knoppix and each contributor specified fair use instead of what they do now.

My idea certainly would not and is not aimed at those kind of projects. But these projects usually do have a Paypal button on their pages, and nobody knows how that money is distributed to the contrinutors...

Not a pretty thought. Too much innovative stuff will go unmade in my view.

Much more innovative stuff will not be distributed at all if there are no alternatives.

Stefan

--

[][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~\
\\\ /|() ()|\
\___/ ///

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-49 77 51 72