cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Granularity on non-commercial restrictions
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:49:09 +0000

drew Roberts wrote:
I suggest we all do an experiment. Just give up on the NC option and be done with it. In a year or two, evaluate your situation and see if you are doing OK. BY-SA is about right for me.

I wouldn't mind a variation that called for like licenses in compilations, but I have not thought of the issues that could cause.

I like this idea. In addition, I'll mention that too many licenses make it hard to mix content. For example, you can't mix BY-SA and BY-NC. The ability to mix is why CC exists. So I think we should only have a incompatible licenses when there is a very good reason to do so.

I think BY-SA and BY-NC are likely to appeal to the same sorts of people. They both allow mixing while trying to prevent the derivative to take advantage of your work. If we want to remove one, I think there's no question that BY-NC goes and BY-SA stays.

Incidentally, I don't like the ND licenses.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org