cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A Second Proposal

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A Second Proposal
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:24:37 -0600

tom poe wrote:

Hi: How does this fit with technology transfer departments within
educational institutions?

Excellent question. From my experience this requires two things (I'm going through the negotiation process right now with our Tech Transfer office now). First, is a defensible agreement / license (which I think cc.edu is shaping up to be). Second is explicit agreement up front from TTO that it's "permissable" to license things in this manner. Our current case is easy, since the funding organization says "Either it's all completely free and open or you don't get any money." In other circumstances the negotiation might be more difficult. It will all depend on your particular university's policy toward intellectual property... If your U says you own course materials you develop, etc., then as the owner you can license them however you want. Or the enlightened institution might even pull an MIT and make an institution-wide committment to CC everything (ocw.mit.edu). Others might take more draconian approaches.