cc-education - RE: [cc-education] A Second Proposal

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Alexander, Bryan" <balexan AT middlebury.edu>
  • To: 'development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons ' <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-education] A Second Proposal
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:07:23 -0400

A couple of notes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Zachary Chandler
To: development of an education license or license option for Creative
Commons
Sent: 8/24/03 4:06 AM

interleaved:

Quoting David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>:

> - Require attribution as per the present option in the standard CC
> infrastructure (because academics expect citations and references),

ZC: My initial reaction is to think that explicitly requiring
Attribution may
seem redundant, given the educational use clause. We could let
attribution be
handled by existing school policy on plagiarism, and by judicial
committees.
However, as many institutions are facing rising instances of plagiarism
(from
generation p2p), I think that an explicit Attribution clause could
underscore
good scholarship and be an effective learning tool for undergraduates.

BNA: I agree. Consider as well the number of students using digital
materials, some of whom are in elementary school, who don't fully understand
academic attribution.

> - Disallow commercial use as per the present option in the standard CC
> infrastructure (because this is what educational licenses intuitively
> mean to most people), and

ZC: This would require a textbook publisher to compensate a free media
producer
for use of their cc.edu licensed learning objects in a textbook bundle.
I think
that's a good protection (and incentive) to keep.

BNA: I hate to cut across the grain on this issue, but would a second
license, allowing commercial use, have both individual appeal and a positive
social function? I can imagine cases where a creator imagines commercial
exploitation, but lacks the ability to arrange for it, and would be happy to
receive attribution, along with the possibility of some benefit down the
road.