cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Gsoc idea :liblicence for URLs and plugin for embedding licences in media files in Django

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: amit sethi <amit.pureenergy AT gmail.com>
  • To: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Gsoc idea :liblicence for URLs and plugin for embedding licences in media files in Django
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:36:54 +0530

>>use existing recommendations like ccREL/RDFa to specify and detect the
>>license information.  If you're looking at an image on its own, XMP
>>already allows you to specify the license in an object so using that
>>existing standard is my preference.
Actually i now think this is a better idea at least for media.  Sorry for being ill informed .Also i hope i was not condescending . I was just excited about the idea .  >>there are use cases that an
>>HTTP header would address that existing approaches don't, we can talk
>>about it (although I'll warn you that I'm going to be super
>>skeptical).
well i think this could be a great help to bloggers.This way not only the media content but the textual content they produce can also be licensed under creative common .
>>An F-Spot licensing plugin generally (that presumably used
>>liblicense?) would be fantastic and a perfect SoC project.
That is great although  i wish to take a day or two to research this project before submitting a proposal .I am interested on how F-spot handles metadata .
Especially if do add such a plugin how F-spot is going to handle writing it to flickr when it uploads such an image to flickr etc ... It can import xmp tags on an image.
If you could recommend some reading for research for the project proposal it would be .
>>Yeah, I'm not 100% certain about how oembed works... I think it
>>typically gets consumed and transformed into HTML for embedding.
>>Better (license aware) oembed consumers would be useful.  Of course
yes , you are right again it does get consumed. I think XMP is again a better solution .