cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Gsoc idea :liblicence for URLs and plugin for embedding licences in media files in Django

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: amit sethi <amit.pureenergy AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Gsoc idea :liblicence for URLs and plugin for embedding licences in media files in Django
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:08:41 -0500

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM, amit sethi <amit.pureenergy AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for taking out time to review. Just for argument sake, If you have a
> browser plugin to evaluate this transient data, it will inform user about
> the fact that a particular remote object is licensed under certain
> license.This according to me can be a good beginning to the idea .We should
> keep the discussion open on this.

That makes sense but I don't think it's a compelling reason to start
recommending yet another way to specify license information. If
you're looking at a web page with an embedded, licensed image, you can
use existing recommendations like ccREL/RDFa to specify and detect the
license information. If you're looking at an image on its own, XMP
already allows you to specify the license in an object so using that
existing standard is my preference. If there are use cases that an
HTTP header would address that existing approaches don't, we can talk
about it (although I'll warn you that I'm going to be super
skeptical).

> Also I think I have really gotten excited by the idea of liblicense and wish
> to contribute to it.
> I have read on the mailing Archives about a call for a plugin for F-spot to
> write license information .If there is no project like that as yet i would
> like to initiate it .
> Also the plugin will automatically read and write license information when
> someone uploads or downloads using flickr.

An F-Spot licensing plugin generally (that presumably used
liblicense?) would be fantastic and a perfect SoC project.

> Also Flickr uses something called oembed on which it gives the license
> information . There could be a FireFox plugin which recognizes Creative
> Common License information onĀ  oembed and tells the user that there is
> creative common data on this page .Although i think oembed is also transient

Yeah, I'm not 100% certain about how oembed works... I think it
typically gets consumed and transformed into HTML for embedding.
Better (license aware) oembed consumers would be useful. Of course,
I'll freely admit that my oembed understanding is very fuzzy so I may
misunderstand it completely.

Nathan