cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Gsoc idea :liblicence for URLs and plugin for embedding licences in media files in Django

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: amit sethi <amit.pureenergy AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Gsoc idea :liblicence for URLs and plugin for embedding licences in media files in Django
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:28:15 -0500

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your interest in working on CC projects for Google Summer
of Code. The idea of using an HTTP header to indicate license
information has been previously suggested and we decided against it.
One of the primary reasons is that it embeds the information in a
transient, often inaccessible location -- the response headers often
aren't available to developers, let alone users. Ideally the license
is specified as part of the container or the object itself.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think this is a good fit for us for GSoC.

Nathan