baslinux - Re: [BL] Having trouble with networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Having trouble with networking
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:05:39 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Jason wrote:

> The card is labelled "Intel 8/16 LAN Adapter," which
> is apparently the same card as the Intel EtherExpress 16

Does it have a BNC (coax) connector and/or a RJ45 connector?
If both connectors are there, which are you using?

> The card is set to run in 16-bit mode (I checked this
> using the Intel diagnostic utility).

A quick google found people having problems in Linux
getting the right port/mode. For example:
The hub shows the expected activity on the port (so,
I know the RJ45 port and cable are working). When I
boot Linux, the boot message shows that the EtherExpress
adapter is initializing and using the 10BaseT connector.
However, the system is still using the 10Base2 connector
(I can't ping any of my other workstations unless the
coax is connected to the EtherExress card). I searched
the internet and found the eexpress.c source code for
the driver. However don't see anything in the source
code that allows me to specify the media type connector
when installing the eexpress module.