baslinux - Re: [BL] Having trouble with networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Having trouble with networking
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:22:47 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Jason wrote:

> The card only comes with an RJ45 connector.

OK, that eliminates that issue. Is it an ISA
card? If so, PnP could be an issue.

> When I use insmod, the parameters I use are
> io=0x300 and irq=10.

I assume those are set by jumpers on the card
or by a configuration utility. If it's a
configuration utility, I hope the values are
maintained during Linux boot.

> I tried using the "options" parameter, but it
> appears that this version of the module doesn't
> support it. I took a look at the code for the
> 2.2.26 version of eexpress.c, and there is no
> MODULE_PARM entry for it, only io and irq.

Thank you for that information. I got the options
parameter from a list of network modules and their
parameters. I guess it was wrong.

It might be useful to try a couple of different
modules with that card: eepro and e100. You'll
find the eepro module at the BL3 site. AFAIK
there is no e100 compiled specifically for 2.2.26,
but here's a 2.2.16 version that might work:
http://cmiller.sdf-us.org/baslin/baslin2/e100.o
Try using the -f option for insmod. Or try a
2.2.16 (bare.i) kernel from Slackware 7.1.

The e100 kernel is an alternative kernel for
the EtherExpress cards written specifically
to address problems in the standard modules.
There's a chance it will fix your problem.