baslinux - Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:29:20 +0000 (UTC)

The ptelnet 0.61 program works much better for telnetting than for dumb
terminal mode. The keyboard puts characters on the screen and sends them.
In terminal mode I see the login screen but cannot type to it. I may try
turning on echo.

Today for some reason I can type characters to the screen using the keyboard or graffiti. The PDA keeps needing a reset - maybe something had gone haywire. (We upgraded from OS 3.0. to 3.3 and were warned about this). I am typing on vt1 not the PDA, which is very hard to read.

I still have to first 'connect' with the terminal program and THEN start the agetty. It stops running after a few seconds if I do it from command line (I can type user but not the password) so I uncommented the line in inittab (AFTER connecting) and typed 'init q' and then got the login prompt. If I type init q and THEN 'connect' with the PDA I just get the blinking cursor. This works.

The screen is wrapping at 40 columns with this ptelnet 0.61 (unlike
ptelnet, where it is 80 col and I need to scroll back and forth).
www.google.com/palm (taken from hotlist.html for links in BL3)

Format web pages for your phone. Default is OFF.

Add weather. Type in zip code. It is 30F here.
Very short lines. 20 columns.

Since it is 20 columns, I just switched to big print. The top of the screen is not displayed and I cannot arrow up (it says I am at page top). Back to small font. Lost the display on the PDA.

Got disconnected as dumb terminal and cannot get it working again.
Login: prompt but I cannot enter text and see it on the screen.
There must be some specific order of events needed.
If I kill the process number of the agetty it starts again and the login screen redraws but I still cannot enter text in it.