baslinux - Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:20:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

BL2 comes with the required line in inittab but
BL3.4 and BL3.5 do not.

BL3 does not have a normal getty. It does not have
a login prompt.
If I were to add the line from BL2 to BL3, would it let me connect a serial terminal to BL3?

I uncommented the line in inittab and rebooted first.
The serial port now no longer works for PDA file
transfers

That is correct. The getty is now on that port.
I know it is correct, that is a good sign.

What step did I leave out?

I know nothing about your PDA. The only thing I could
suggest would be to make sure that you are connected
to the right port.

I am connected to the right port, but I am not getting a login prompt.
I looked at tdlp 'text-terminal-HOWTO'.

I tried this with ttyS1 and ttyS0. I can
echo test > /dev/ttyS0
and test appears on the screen.
Every time I do this it appears on the next line, but
to the right of the previous 'test'.

I have the PDA terminal program set to LF. CR or CRLF works the same.
Eventually the line wraps, but it is not doing a carriage return.

What did I omit to get the login prompt?

All the ttys are crw for root.
BL2 tty3 is not r or w for user, ttyS0 is r--, ttyS1 is -w-
BL3 tty? are not rw for user, ttyS0 and ttyS1 are r-- user.
Since I don't get a login prompt, this should be irrelevant to dumb terminals but how should permissions be set? I can login as user on the BL2 tty1-4. I don't do anything to get the prompt but chvt (or Alt 2 for tty1). Do I need to do something on my text terminal (with the terminal program) to get the login prompt?

To log in as root I would need to add /dev/ttyS0 and 1 to /etc/securetty.