baslinux - Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 01:09:17 +0000 (UTC)

If I 'connect' with my PDA terminal program to BL2 with the s1 line uncommented in /etc/inittab I only get a blinking cursor with no
login prompt.

If I recomment out the line and init q, then (while the cursor
is blinking) type at a BL2 prompt:

/sbin/agetty -L 19200 ttyS1 vt100 -l /bin/login

I get the login prompt. Without the -l /bin/login I do not.

I think I tried putting -l /bin/login in /etc/inittab and it did not work, but I may have had the order of events wrong. Anyway, it is more convenient to make a script to run instead of editing inittab every time I switch between terminal mode and pilot-link file transfer on ttyS1. (Mouse in ttyS0 - serial laptop trackball or maybe a trackpad which we will cut out of a broken ergonomic keyboard, having replaced the trackball mouse buttons with VCR buttons).

I still have problems. The program which worked for telnet and ssh (mocha pocket telnet) does not appear to have a terminal mode. I eventually got the Enter key working by changing NONE to LF. This program also had macros and I set F6 to Enter, too.

The pda terminal program is ptelnet 0.61 (by a Brazilian) with good instructions. It can do a direct serial or IR connection (for dumb terminal operation) or telnet (but not ssh). It has a keyboard with an Enter key (curled arrow) which does nothing.

Hardware buttons can be used to send up down left right and also
return (Memo Pad).

I should be able to send text by using Grafitti (writing in characters at screen bottom) or using the built-in keyboard. Neither one puts any characters on the login screen when I tap DONE (in two other programs DONE copies the characters to the main screen and sends them to my BSD shell when I tap ENTER) so I cannot log in even if I can Enter with a hardware button or keyboard tap or Ctrl or Esc sequence or PF or macro.

It says if using UNIX and sh (or bash?) to set
TERM=vt100
(I think my agetty line already did that but I did it again)
and also to set the screen to the right size.

How do I set BL terminal to display 40 columns?

When telnetted this is adjusted automatically. I may try telnetting to BL2 with inetd. And also DOS kermit on the laptop again.

I may write the author. Nice program if it works.

At least I should be able to log in from DOS Kermit now (via command line instead of inittab). I learn a lot more when things don't work as expected.