baslinux - Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 04:24:45 +0000 (UTC)

Translation (from the desktop, where I can see what I typed because I do not need to scroll on each line, and the characters are more than 3 pixels wide and the keyboard keys are much bigger).

The ptelnet 0.61 program works much better for telnetting than for dumb terminal mode. The keyboard puts characters on the screen and sends them. In terminal mode I see the login screen but cannot type to it. I may try turning on echo.

We made a nullmodem-to-regular-modem-cable adaptor by crossing over wires in something else and rewiring to make both ends 9-pin male. Pinout is below. Three crossed pairs, one straight 5, 1 and 9 cut off. Symmetrical. There are several types of nullmodem cable. The Palm official nullmodem adaptor is $5 plus postage. You don't need it to connect directly to a serial port for terminal or telnet access.