baslinux - Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 17:46:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

If I were to add the line from BL2 to BL3, would it
let me connect a serial terminal to BL3?

No, BL3 does not have a normal getty. It does not have
a login prompt.

I have the PDA terminal program set to LF. CR or CRLF works the same.
Eventually the line wraps, but it is not doing a carriage return.

What did I omit to get the login prompt?

As I said before, I have not used a PDA as a dumb terminal
so I can't help you with that side of it. Is it possible
for you to replace the PDA (temporarily) with a PC running
a DOS terminal program? See if you get the same problem.

I already did that and reported the identical problem - just a blinking cursor (on a laptop, on two different BL2 desktops, with known working nullmodem cable that is fine for TCP/IP telnet over a modem). Kermit for DOS, set modem none, 19200 N81 in ini file, C to connect, blinking cursor.
I think I was using this same nullmodem cable a few years ago with a desktop as dumb terminal. So I must be doing something wrong.

I will try between two desktops when I find the space.

I have a connection because I can echo 'test' to the PDA, just no login prompt.