baslinux - Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 00:15:59 GMT

Mouse is unplugged. ttyS0 does not let you plug
in a mouse and a nullmodem cable at the same time.
I don't follow.

/etc/securetty lists tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 as possible
for root to log in. I don't even get login prompt.
Last time this worked I could log in as user not root
to ttyS0 and ttyS1. Do I need to add some other line
some place to instruct linux to give login prompt?

Running Linux (1996 2nd edition) says that inittab
includes entries that execute /sbin/agetty for the virtual
consoles. agetty is one variant of getty. getty opens
a terminal device (virtual console or serial line) and sets
various parameters for the terminal driver, and executes
/bin/login to initiate a login session on that terminal.
So you need to run agetty (or getty) on any terminal you want
to be able to log onto. (a)getty specifies baud rate and
device name (in /dev/). They suggest 38400 for ttyn
BL2 inittab has all of this (plus respawn - this lets you
exit and log in again). init q should be run after
editing inittab. For some reason /bin/login does not
seem to be executed in my case by agetty, for ttyS0 or 1.
agetty
can be set NOT to use the default of displaying 'issue'
at login time. You can set a list of baud rates to try
with commas between them (38400,19200.....)
-i sets it not to display issue (for advanced users).
-l login_program if you want to log in without /bin/login.
'This allows the use of a non-standard login program, for
example one that asks for a dialup password or that uses a
different password file'.

I had dumb terminal working BEFORE I added a root password.
But I have the same problem on a different BL2 without password.

-L forces the line to be local line with no need for carrier detect.
(Kermit does this with set carrier-watch off or modem none, and
my PDA terminal program lets me set to terminal instead of telnet).

agetty can be used with a dial-in line.

Would it help to add -l /bin/login to the line in inittab?