baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:53:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
David, do you have time yet to compile ltmodem modules for 2.4.31?

I might be able to build them later today.

(Or to play midi files to an electronic keyboard with linux).

I have tested MIDI playback to a keyboard in BL3.40. Playback does
appear to work. I haven't tested recording yet, probably because I
don't know what software to use.

Basically, follow the general sound setup outline on:
http://basiclinux.com.ru/sound.html. But be sure that you have the
correct value for the mpu_io sound module parameter. Otherwise, it
will not work.

What is the correct value?

Assuming you have an SB16 ISA card, how exactly did you insmod all the required modules? Did you need to use isapnp?

insmod sb io=0x220 mpu_io=0x??? irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5

To play midis to the keyboard, I used the playmidi-BL3 package from
your BL add-ons page. The playmidi help text says that the -e option
is for playback to an 'external midi device' - this worked to play to
a keyboard attached to the sound card via a DIN-type plug connected to
a gameport adapter.

I have one of those cables, which works in DOS.

When I playmidi -e it plays to awe32, same as with playmidi -a.
I have been using BL2 not BL3 to play midis. I will try BL3.

playmidi -e wwsong07.mid

You might want to turn the volume down on the keyboard.

Yes, it came out quite loud in DOS.

Do you know if rosegarden works for recording? I saw a binary on your
website but I am not sure if it will work on BL3. I will download and
test it now.

Thanks for testing. I found a few other possible recording programs.
Most need X and various libraries not in BL3.

David