b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:21:02 -0800

On 31 Jan 2010 at 19:59, James Christian wrote:

> Hi David, but as you yourself said 'the forms are identical'. We
> call it a subjunctive when we have
> certain pragmatic clues (e.g. clause starts with 'if') and when the
> forms are used with a 'past'
> function we call them 'past simple'. And yet there are no different
> forms to analyse. Other than
> contextual clues they are completely identical and so we have to
> analyse the form rather than
> our perceptions of its uses.

Not at all. We understand that they are homonyms. In English the two forms
melded into a
single visual/auditory string; the qualifier "if" is our cue that we have one
homonym and not
the other. They are not the same "word" (however that term is defined)
distinguished only
by "certain pragmatic clues." I agree that BH didn't grammaticalize either
tense or aspect (I
extend this to the notion of "sequence," but that's another topic) but you
have not shown this
for English. That's my only quibble.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur