b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: biblical hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:12:31 -0800

Joseph:

My main interest has been as a lexicographer, not a grammarian. But then
that follows that the hardest part of learning a foreign language is getting
the vocabulary down.

In reading Tanakh a few times, it is clear that tense is not grammaticalized
by Hebrew verbs. So the use of the term “tense” is misleading at best. But
in looking at your description, it looks as if he is using the term “tense”
to mean something other than tense, which is confusing.

I tried reading Tanakh reading the verbal forms as denoting aspect, and that
didn’t work either.

Therefore the Qatal and Yiqtal forms are grammaticalizations of other
concepts. What exactly? I’m not sure.

I think a major problem is that we westerners speaking modern European
languages try to fit Biblical Hebrew into our concepts of
grammaticalization.

My initial reaction to your description is that this doesn’t sound right.
I’ll need more details to make a rebuttal, or acceptance.

Karl W. Randolph.