b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "s.a.breyer" <s.a.breyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:46:15 -0600

Rolf:

My faith in the admirable clarity and rigor of your analysis is
profoundly shaken by this:

> It is a fundamental linguistic truth that verbs used in narratives
have past reference.

On what basis do you make this assertion? It seems to me neither
self-evident nor borne out by linguistic fact, teste folktale and joke
on the one hand, and the practice of many eminent writers of fiction on
the other.

Stoney Breyer
Writer / Touchwood Creative