b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:00:48 +0000

But surely you can see that the examples of the various uses of 'went' show
that neither tense nor aspect is uncancellable.

(1) Yesterday I went to the shop to buy a sandwich

This use shows past tense and perfective aspect

(2) Sally went to the shop every day of her life

This use is both referring to the past and is imperfective in aspect (action
was repeated)

(3) As I went to the shop I saw a man talking to a woman

This use is referring to the past and is imperfective in aspect (action is
ongoing). We can substitute 'went' with 'was going' with very little
difference to the logical inferences the utterance stimulates.

(4) If I went to the shop I would buy an ice-cream

This use is referring to hypothetical event in the future with perfective
aspect

(5) If I went to the shop every day like Sally does I'd soon get bored of
going to the shop

This use is referring to hypothetical events both past, present and future
that are repeated i.e. imperfective in aspect. If we changed this
conditional into logical inferences that could be made when its truth
conditions are satisfied one of the inferences we could make is 'I go to the
shop every day like Sally.' i.e. verb form becomes present simple
(expressing repeated actions in past, present and future; aspect is
therefore imperfective.

And so we can conclude that neither tense nor aspect is grammaticalised in
the English 'simple past' verb forms. However, what gains does this
knowledge give us when applying it to the task of translation (or machine
translation) from English to another modern language like Italian?

Here are the examples again. This time with their translations (any Italians
on the list please correct my translations if there are any mistakes in
them).

(1) Yesterday I went to the shop to buy a sandwich
Ieri sono andato al negozio (If a woman or girl is speaking)
Ieri sono andata al negozio (If a man or boy is speaking)
Ieri andai al negozio (if you are from far enough South in Italy to prefer
the use of passato remoto over passato prossimo in combination with Ieri
(yesterday)

(2) Sally went to the shop every day of her life

Sally andava al negozio tutti i giorni della vita

(3) As I went to the shop I saw a man talking to a woman

Come andavo al negozio ci ho visto un signore che stava a parlare con una
donna

(4) If I went to the shop I would buy an ice-cream

Se andassi al negozio comprerei un gelato (if you are an academic who
insists on speaking 'correct' Italian)
Se andavo al negosio compravo un gelato (if you just go with the flow and
speak like everyone else does)

(5) If I went to the shop every day like Sally does I'd soon get bored of
going to the shop

Se andassi io tutti i giorni al negozio come fa la Sally mi stufferrebbe in
fretta
Se andavo io tutti i giorni al negozio come fa la Sally mi stuffava in
fretta

And so we see a number of different verb forms being the natural translation
of English 'went' (passato prossimo, passato remoto, imperfetto,
congiuntivo). In each case it would seem that it is an alignment of the use
in question that dominates the translation rather than any idea of
uncancellable meaning of the verb form. Wouldn't you agree?

James Christian