b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:51:27 +0000

Apologies. I (as always) typed the response quickly and didn't check for
spelling mistakes and missing words. The first sentence should read:

I think the problem here is that you are not imagining English as a dead
language with no informants.

Reading it with the 'not' should make more sense. What I would like you to
do is to imagine English is a dead language and analyse the forms as they
would appear in a typical corpus. This is essentially what we are doing with
Hebrew. When doing this with English we see that the neither tense nor
aspect is grammaticalised in the *form*. In fact, in order to analyse any
useful grammaticalisations you have to call the most distinct functions of
the form homonyms for that grammaticalisation to work. This is interesting
from the point of view of a pyscholinguist. When the two functions differ in
tense you view the functions as so different you are prepared to analyse
them as homonyms. When the functions differ only in aspect you don't go to
that length. Could this indicate that tense is more important to us
psycholinguistically speaking than aspect?

James Christian