b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 20:25:09 -0400

Pere,

I am sorry, but I fail to see what makes A-LAMD-AH of Psalms 51:15 "cohortative" or even merely urgent. I am afraid you are reading into the text something that is not there. Looking at the word I fail to see visions of a poet shaking threateningly his fist at his adversaries. In fact, the New American Bible translates it calmly and without much ado as "I will teach". KJV paraphrases it as "Then will I teach", with "then" intrusively added.
A-LAMD-AH of Psalms 51:15 is apparently a variant of the pi'el form A- LAM-E-D. In my opinion the pi'el form [as well as the hif'il form] contains two personal pronouns, one for the actor and one for the beneficiary of the act. In A-LAMD-AH the internal E of A-LAM-E-D migrated to the end of the word, where it stands now as AH = HI) for the transgressors. The initial A- of A-LAMD-AH is obviously a collapsed )ANI, 'I'. It is also conceivable that the last -AH is for the speaker himself, or that it is even a crushed ANI-HI), 'I-them'.
I also fail to discern any "cohortative" trait in A-LAQT-AH of Ruth 2:7. Is the girl stomping her foot while declaring it? She is in fact putting it very softly and gently as A-LAQT-AH NA). And what about V- A-SAP-TI, 'and I will gather', in which the ending -TI is surly the personal pronoun ATI=ANI? And what about $IBT-AH [with a H mupeket]?
By the way, is $AMR-AH, '[she] guarded', some sort of "assertative"?
In Isaiah 25:9 NA-GIL-AH, 'we will rejoice', [as well as V-NI-SMX- AH], the initial -NA is a collapsed ANU, and the last -HA is a contracted HI), referring both to the speakers. For a woman it is TA- GIL-I = AT-GIL-HI), and for the many it is TA-GIL-U = ATAH-GIL-HU).
I agree with George that those are old form that fell later into disuse. Still, we need to explain this -AH within the systematics of the Hebrew grammar. It is, in my opinion, surely not an empty sound but always a personal pronoun.
How, and in what capacity, -AH can be a "particle" is not clear to me.

Isaac Fried, Boston University