b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fonts etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fonts etc.
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:11:03 -0800 (PST)

Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net> quoted the following , from Peter Kirk?
> Another good reason for using Hebrew text is for the mother tongue
> Hebrew speakers on the list. It doesn't exactly make things easier for
> them, or make for better relationships, when we western Christians
> insist on using our script for their language.

To which one can only say : this is a noble sntiment!

One can also add that whoever joins the list is persumably not only familiar
with the Latin script, but must have at least some knowledge of English.

It is also good to keep in mind that Latin and Hebrew use the same West
Canaanite script, though with some modifications. My students used to be
suprised when I pointed this out and indicated that even the sequence of
many letters remains the same: Q, R, S, T cf. with Quf Reish Shin Tav, or
K,L,M,N cf.with Kaf , Lamed, Mem Nun , not to mention the very beginning of
the Alphabet.

Cheers

Uri