b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fonts etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fonts etc.
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:37:52 -0800

On 29/03/2004 10:21, Polycarp66 AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 3/29/2004 12:54:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

Another good reason for using Hebrew text is for the mother tongue
Hebrew speakers on the list. It doesn't exactly make things easier
for
them, or make for better relationships, when we western Christians
insist on using our script for their language. We wouldn't be very
happy
if they wrote our language in their script, would we?

Huh?! What's this supposed to mean. I wasn't aware we were speaking a Christian language with or without a Hebrew script. I thought we were discussing biblical Hebrew which of necessity involves what we Christians call the Old Testament but our Jewish friends simply the Bible or the TANAK. Please explain.
gfsomsel

I didn't mention a Christian language. But postings on this list are in English, which is a western language, and the mother tongue of most of the Christians and other Gentiles on this list, as well as of some of the Jews. I suspect that almost all the Christians on this list are mother-tongue speakers of languages which use Latin script - perhaps not George A, and we have had Russians on the list. Perhaps I should have been more specific and referred to "we English-speaking Christians" or "we Christians whose mother tongue is written in Latin script". And "our script" is of course Latin script.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)