b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fonts etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fonts etc.
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:54:13 -0800

On 29/03/2004 09:36, Dave Washburn wrote:

Peter,
I happen to know of at least one person who has a text-only system, accessed by dialup or telnet into a Unix machine that doesn't have the beef to serve up X-windows applications. There may well be others. It's not just a Microsoft world out there (thank God). ...

Amen! But I am not referring only to Unicode. Certainly Linux supports Unicode Hebrew, and so do recent versions of MacOS though I am not sure how good this is yet.

... There really is a reason why we primarily use transliteration for our discussions here.

I realise that there are some people in this kind of situation at present - although I would be surprised if the Unix system is actually incapable of processing Unicode plain text. So I would agree that we should for the time being use transliteration as well as Hebrew text.

Another good reason for using Hebrew text is for the mother tongue Hebrew speakers on the list. It doesn't exactly make things easier for them, or make for better relationships, when we western Christians insist on using our script for their language. We wouldn't be very happy if they wrote our language in their script, would we?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)