b-hebrew - Re: Re[3]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[3]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 09:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Rolf Furuli wrote:
> As to pronunciation, I thought for many years that something close to
> Yahweh was likely. But after reading G. W. Buchanan, "Some Unfinished
> Business With the Dead Sea
> Scrolls," Revue de Qumran, 1988, 13:49-52 I changed my mind, and believe
> that a pronunciation close to Yahowah is more likely. I recommend this
> article.

Shalom Ya Achi Rolf:

Why do you think there exists such widespread denial that the name
revealed in ha-TNKH cannot be anything but 'Yahweh'? Is it because many
have not cross referenced their work with the DSS and other ancient
writings? WHat do you think it will take to standardize the pronunciation
of 'Yahowah' in the modern scholastic world?

Shalom!