b-hebrew - Re: Re[6]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[6]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:52:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG wrote:
<snip>
> Do you know of any linguistic evidence, rather than esoteric
> speculation, for a Sumerian or even Akkadian (Mesopotamian Semitic)
> background for any of these names?

Shalom Peter!

I used to really get into this 2 or 3 years ago, and I have a book on
record which did go into this and explain the linguistic meanings of the
Biblical names w/o any esoteric speculation but with, what would be
considered, scholastic material.

I think one of the books was called 'Yahweh and The Gods of Canaan' - but
I will have to double check and get back with you with a full sheet of
references. Until then, Shalom!

Wondell M. Rachman