b-hebrew - Re[6]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu, gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU
  • Subject: Re[6]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:25:52 -0400

Dear Joseph (I gather you prefer that),

I don't suppose we can be sure whether ancient Hebrew names like
Avraham, Noah etc as well as YHWH do in fact have Mesopotamian or
Sumerian roots. It could be that these were compounds in Sumerian or
something which have become assimilated to some Hebrew meaning (like
Hebrew HEYKAL "temple" which looks like a good Semitic word, but in
fact it is probably a loan word from a Sumerian compound "e-gal"
meaning "great house"). But the first two names you mention do appear
to have meanings in Hebrew, though that of Avraham is rather obscure.
Do you know of any linguistic evidence, rather than esoteric
speculation, for a Sumerian or even Akkadian (Mesopotamian Semitic)
background for any of these names?

Peter Kirk