b-hebrew - Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 11:57:49 -0500

yahua'sef wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999, Jim West wrote:
> > In any event, my remarks are quite simple: the reason that most folk dont
> > buy the "Jehovah" pronunciation is the simple fact that it is based on a
> > misunderstanding. You are riding a dead horse, mr Joseph.
>
> Well at least we agree on the 'Jehovah' issue. The latter is your opinion
> and is of no consequence, thank God.
>
> > oh- p.s.- yes, as anyone who has attended grad school knows, french and
> > german are required languages along with the Biblical languages for anyone
> > doing serious work in the field of Biblical studies.
>
> Nonsense. France and Germany have nothing to do with the Holy Land, its
> ancient languages, and the culture. One would be more wise to study
> Canaanite, Phoenician, Indo-Hittite, Aramaic, Syretic, Arabic, Chaldean,
> (Mesopotamian), Sumer, Akkad, Babylonia, Assyria, etc.etc. culture and
> people.

But the significant works on these languages and on biblical studies
over the last century have been in French and German. When I began
studying Aramaic as a lad, I could get nowhere until I took a basic
German course. Even today the seminal works are in German.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net