b-hebrew - Re[2]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: jkilmon AT historian.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 20:07:07 -0400

How can this HE be a mater lectionis? Normally HE is a ML only at the
end of a word. And here, in the consonantal form BYHWSP, if the HE is
a ML we have two ML's for one vowel - is that known elsewhere? Or are
you suggesting an original pronunciation B:YAW:S"P ?

As for the shortened forms being post-exilic, the evidence is not so
simple. It is in the case of the shortening of Yehoshua to Yeshua, but
not in other cases. Looking at the evidence, it seems that some names
e.g. Yehoash, Yehoram were regularly but not always shortened in both
earlier books (Kings) and in later books (Chronicles), but others e.g.
Yehoshafat were rarely if ever shortened, and still others e.g. Yoav
were always shortened. Oddly enough, in Chronicles Yehoash is always
shortened but Yehoram is rarely shortened. So it is not safe to argue
from dating concerning the shortening of any particular name. The name
Yehosef may, like Yehoash, have been a name which, for unknown
reasons, was often shortened in pre-exilic times and always shortened
later; and the Pentateuchal editors may have chosen one form for
consistency. There are only two occurrences in Samuel-Kings to check
with, so we cannot be sure that the form Yehosef was not in regular
use at that time.

As for the dating of Psalm 81, why do you put it so late? Surely the
northern references make most sense if it originated in northern
Israel before its destruction. In that case it may well predate the
final form of Genesis.

Here is some of the evidence for various YEHO-/YO- variant names:

BOOK Penta- Joshua Samuel Chron Prophets Psalms
teuch Judges Kings Ezr/Neh

Yehosef - - - - - 1
Yosef 187 14 2 9 9 4

Yehoahaz - - 15 5 -