b-hebrew - Re[5]: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[5]: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 01:50:03 -0400

Interesting question. I looked through all the Hebrew names which are
traditionally rendered in English with a V or W (not very many). I
found that in many cases where in Hebrew the waw is syllable-initial
it is transliterated in LXX with OU, occasionally with O, U or W
(omega), and sometimes there is no letter reflecting the waw. But the
nearest to a rule which one can find is that syllable-initial waw is
transliterated OU.

The closest equivalent to YHWH in the list is the first one, Hebrew
)AH:AWF), which is transliterated as AOUE in LXX. This suggests that a
pronunciation of YHWH as YAH:AWFH or YAH:AWEH could lie behind
Clement's IAOUE. And the hatef-patah in these forms is very short and
mobile, it is often replaced by silent shewa in Hebrew manuscripts, so
it can hardly be called a third syllable, just as you mentioned for
Yaakov. But this is no evidence for a three syllable pronunciation
with a middle long O or U vowel, which was I think your earlier
preference. Very short vowels may have been left out in
transliteration, but long O's were not.

I have attached a list of all of the occurrences which I can find in
the Hebrew Bible of syllable-initial waw in proper names with their
LXX renderings.

Peter Kirk