xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:46:19 -0800

I hear bad things about the performance impact of integrating
namespace support into things, things like DOM and XPath. Has anyone
some quantified numbers or should I just make them up?

The performance and memory issues may perhaps be solvable to a large degree with careful thought and implementation.

It's a little off-topic, but for example, the binary xml codec goes to great lengths to handle namespaces as efficiently as possible.
But if you have a lot of additional namespace declarations (just using namespaced nodes is fine), e.g. ala SOAP, the serialization performance can still suffer by some 50%. Have a look at the implementation of nu.xom.Namespaces and Element.getNamespace*() and related methods to see why.