xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:19:28 -0500

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Yes, to support 0.01% of use cases, we pay the prize of having an ugly conceptual misfit, no matter how we juggle it.

Namespaces are an ugly conceptual misfit, no matter how you approach them. Possibly I could avoid the problems by going back to the beginning and working namespaces into the Element class, so it use Namespace objects instead of strings, and modeling namespaces in scope like XPath does rather than namespaces declared like XOM does. But the memory cost still worries me. Much worse is the question of how to handle namespaces in scope as elements are moved around, disconnected from their parents, and inserted into new documents. I thought about this a couple of years ago, and I didn't know how to handle it then and I don't know how to handle it now. I tend to doubt there is a good way to handle namespaces that will fit all use cases well. :-(