xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:25:31 -0500

Michael Kay wrote:

The more people come up with different ways of modelling namespaces, the
more convinced I become that James Clark's "namespace node" model is the
simplest and most elegant way of doing it. The main problem with it is that
it requires a lot of cleverness to implement efficiently: but it can be
done.

The Clark model is the simplest and most elegant only to the extent that one has to keep track of namespace bindings in attribute values and PCDATA. I remain convinced that allowing namespace bindings to escape from XML names into attribute values and element content was a colossal mistake. However, given that this mistake was made and has been embedded in numerous other technologies such as XPath and the W3C XML Schema Language, I suspect you're right and the Clark model is the best we can do