xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Performance of Java XPath engines

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Performance of Java XPath engines
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:47:57 +0000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:14:30 +0900 (JST), shirasu hiroyuki
<hirsh AT s9.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion.
>
> > I would also suggest bumping the number of repetitions to a larger
> > number. The idea is to have each test case run for, say > 5 secs. That
> > way the results become more reliable considering hotspot VM
> > compilation, and hence more relevant. Adding some more complex
> > expressions might be interesting as well.
>
> According your suggestion, I hope to improve my test mesurements.

Another interesting question is the impace of caching. If you have an
XML file big enough that the parsed graph is bigger than $L2 cache,
then you have to hit main memory to navigate around it. As Java (and
.NET) lack anyway to put prefetch hints in the code, the only way to
differentiate your navigation performance is by using algorithms
optimised for different memory speeds. I dont know if any
implementations do, but big file testing is the way to see.

What were the file sizes of the tests?