xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Performance of Java XPath engines

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: shirasu hiroyuki <hirsh AT s9.dion.ne.jp>
  • To: mike AT saxonica.com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Performance of Java XPath engines
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:33:34 +0900 (JST)

From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:39:13 -0000

<snip/>

> From my own point of view, I would love to see how these figures for Saxon
> compare with running Saxon over its native (TinyTree) data model: I would
> expect these figures to be considerably better, but I'd like to know how
> much better. Apart from anything else, this would set a target for improving
> the XOM wrapping layer.

Test results of Saxon over its native object model added to my page.
It has good performance as you expected.
My tests of constant expressions have less repeatition for suitable
mesurement yet.

> The query that failed under Saxon involves (1 div 0) which is not legal in
> XPath 2.0 except in backwards compatibility mode (it becomes an integer
> division: to get a floating point division you need 1.0e0 div 0, or if you
> want it to run under both 1.0 and 2.0 you can write number(1) div 0). At
> present Saxon supports XPath backwards compatibility mode when running
> within XSLT but not otherwise - this is something I must add.

Thank you very much for your comments.
Can I quote (refer?) this at my page?

Thanks,
--
shirasu hiroyuki(hirsh AT s9.dion.ne.jp)