xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Performance of Java XPath engines

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, "'shirasu hiroyuki'" <hirsh AT s9.dion.ne.jp>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Performance of Java XPath engines
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:13:17 -0000

> Interestiung. Thanks. You note that "Especially the following-sibling
> traversal of Saxon in DOM is a bit slow, but good in JDOM and
> XOM." This
> is an area where I'd expect wide vsaiation between different DOM
> implementations, depending on the specific strategy they chose to
> implement operations like getNextSibling.

Actually Saxon isn't using getNextSibling. It's getting the NodeList of all
the parent's children using getChildNodes(), finding the context node in
this list, and then iterating over the rest of the NodeList. Don't ask me
why - it was written years ago and I'm sure it made sense at the time. A lot
of the code was heavily convoluted to work around the possibility of finding
things like CDATA nodes in the tree.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/