xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Put methods

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Put methods
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:13:48 -0500

At 2:14 PM -0500 2/2/04, jcowan AT reutershealth.com wrote:

1) I think it's worth having a put method to complement get. The only
way to replace a single Node in the list currently is either to copy
it, which does not preserve object identity, or else to remove and
then insert/append, which involves copying the list anywhere up to
twice internally (if you want to replace the zeroth node), and requires
getting the insert vs. append choice correct.

I don't see an obvious use case for this right now.Since adding it in the future would not be backwards incompatible with existing code, I'm going to hold off on this until it becomes obvious that it's necessary. I'll probably consider it again when I look at rewriting the XInclude implementation code (which is currently some of the ugliest, hard-to-follow, hard-to-understand, code in XOM). If it looks like put would help with that, I'll add it then.

I'm also worried that the distinction between put and insert is not obvious. If I do add it I'll likely call it something like replace rather than put.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)