xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Use in EJBs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Rich Sezov <sezovr AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Use in EJBs
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:17:47 -0500

At 1:29 PM -0800 2/2/04, Rich Sezov wrote:

I can't see any way to get around this, so I don't
think XOM is usable in EJB apps. Do you have any tips
for getting XOM to work in an EJB? If not, would you
please reconsider making XOM's objects serializable?

I really don't know much about EJBs myself. The XOM classes aren't going to be Serializable in 1.0. That's pretty firm.

If you can make a good case that this is really really necessary in an important use case, then I will consider it for a future version. However, you're going to have prove to me that there is really no reasonable alternative. For example, is there some reason you can't implement your own subclasses of the XOM classes that do implement Serializable? You'd probably need to override readObject and writeObject since you don't have access to the private data of the superclass, but at first glance I think it would be doable.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)