xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Use in EJBs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Rich Sezov <sezovr AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Use in EJBs
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:10:43 -0800 (PST)

--- Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
wrote:

> reasonable alternative. For example, is there some
> reason you can't
> implement your own subclasses of the XOM classes
> that do implement
> Serializable?

Yes; I could probably do that. It's a trade-off,
though. I was recently re-introduced to the
complexities of using the DOMParser to parse out my
XML, since I couldn't use XOM to do it in my EJB, so
the choice is: will it take me longer to subclass all
the stuff I'm going to use out of XOM, or to rewrite
my methods using the DOMParser that comes with Xerces?
Plus, that's sort of a hack, isn't it?

I'm sort of new to XML parsing in general (and EJBs,
for that matter--this one is my first), so I can't say
I've tried all that many things. Maybe this is like
the blind leading the blind here. :-) But the
DOMParser classes must be Serializable (disclaimer: I
haven't looked at the source) because I can use that
API just fine in an EJB.

I agree with you that developers shouldn't abuse the
Serializable interface by writing out the objects
themselves to disk, but use in an EJB, I think, is a
legitimate reason to implement it.

=====
Rich Sezov