wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:29:31 -0400

hi everyone,
here's what's playing on WXYC's specialty shows this week:

Tune in Friday at 9pm to hear the Inside Track, another important and beautiful release from Katie Crutchfield a.k.a. Waxahatchee. Ivy Tripp is her third album as Waxahatchee although Crutchfield has just about a dozen releases, collaborations, and guest spots total. Approachable yet intimate, fun and introspective, Ivy Tripp is a lo-fi folk gem you don't wanna miss.

On tonight's NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE resident dj Rome Prize will be throwing down an eclectic mix of house and pop and hip hop from ten to midnight check it out!

This week on Hell or High Water, we will be featuring the comedic works of Butterbeans and Susie. Popular in the 1930s, husband and wife duo Jodie and Susie Edwards sang funny little ditties known commonly as the "dirty blues." Tune in to hear hits like "I Want A Hot Dog For My Roll" this Sunday from 1pm-2pm!

Sunday afternoon, join Broken Music as we delve into the catalog of Peruvian experimental composer César Bolaños. Initially studying piano, Bolaños became interested in electronic music in the late 1950s. He developed his own electronic studio at the Latin-American Center of High Musical Studies (CLAEM) shortly after his arrival there in 1963. Following these early tape pieces, Bolaños pursued electroacoustic and computer music, producing a small but innovative collection of works. Tune in at 2pm.

This week on Sports Rap, it's time for the *deep voice* NBA plaaaaaayoooooofffs. We've been waiting for this all year, so tune in Sunday night at 9 p.m. for our review of the first days' games and preview of the rest of the playoffs. We'll make series predictions, talk about injury situations, talk about MVP stuff, etc. It'll be a blast, so make sure to listen in, starting Sunday at 9pm!

Monday, get ready to get LOUD on the Outside Track. Doom-y sludge metal born of the colossal Southern-influenced powers and DIY metal Kings The Body and Thou, conjoined in this double-album: the first half is the 2014 EP Released from Love, which was originally strictly vinyl-only; the second half, You, Whom I Have Always Hated, was recorded while touring together last year. The overrunning concept is a cute one: “a twilight dungeon crawl exploring the winding, ruined halls of Mad King Duro’s Castle, best friends at your side, enemies crushed beneath your heels, mysteries solved, and treasures found.” There are few moments of respite in this loud, screeching sonic journey so tune in at 9pm because this time of year (as many students know) is not for the faint of hear