wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 21:24:13 -0400

hi everyone!
tomorrow, WXYC plays WXDU in kickball.  please keep us in your thoughts, prayers, and sports by listening to our specialty programming, starting RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND on WXYC 89.3 fm / wxyc.org:

This Friday at 9pm on the Inside Track hear the bangin footwork full-length from Clenton Hill a.k.a. DJ Clent. He has been an important figure in the footwork scene with a few important releases on Dance Mania as well as his EP last year on Planet Mu but this is his first full-length. This is music born out of the fast-paced and hyper high-hat style of Chicago footwork incorporating a smooth and melodic low-end, driving, intricate structures, and retro high-pitched synth effects. DJ Clent has a constantly evolving style that easily captures your attention in one groove and spits you out your soul in another world entirely.

Tune in to tonight's New Science Experience for live sets from local beatmakers EARTHLY (https://soundcloud.com/bonglestargalactabong) and FUNKKS (https://soundcloud.com/funkss). Check it out from ten to midnight it's gonna be hella sick!

This week on Hell or High Water, we'll be paying homage to Triangle based soul quartet, the Embers. Well known in their day for creating some of the best beach music around, we'll delve into their discography and have a true beach bash!

Broken Music, WXYC's specialty show focused on more challenging or longer-form musics, is at it again.  Tune in from 2-3pm on Sunday afternoon for something special!

Sunday at 5pm, we're in for another treat with a new episode of WXYC Reports, a show that produces audio documentary / narrative / storytelling pieces.  Tune in for something unique + engaging!

This week on Sports Rap, it's all NBA, all the time (with a brief Tokoto detour). We'll make predictions about the end of the season, debate who should win MVP, talk first, second and third team All-NBA, and generally cover the rest of the madness of the season. Tune in Sunday night at 9 p.m.!

Monday on the Outside Track we will feature the a compilation of amazing work titled Hanoi Masters: War is a Wound, Peace is a Scar. This compilation was put together in 2014 by grammy-award winning producer Ian Brennan and features the voices of Vietnamese elders and musicians who sing painfully beautiful songs influenced by the upheaval of the Vietnam War - which these Hanoi musicians still call the "American War". Buzzwords like "raw beauty" and "sepia-toned" begin to capture the emotional power of these songs but cannot do justice to the complexity of the music itself. Tune in at 9pm to see for yourself the power of collective memory, lost instruments, conflict, and resistance.